Back to Topics List

SubjectAuthorDate
Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Danielle Spellman6/2/2010 12:56:31 PM
- RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Chad Sommer6/7/2010 6:30:59 PM
- RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Hayes Sanborn6/2/2010 2:29:29 PM
- - RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Danielle Spellman6/3/2010 8:34:32 AM
- RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Henry Heisler6/2/2010 2:11:02 PM
- RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Annette Jonker6/2/2010 1:27:44 PM
- - RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Joe Fanning6/2/2010 1:42:48 PM
- - RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Jessica Kotleski6/2/2010 1:42:26 PM
- - - RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Jennifer Klyse6/2/2010 2:32:55 PM
- - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Jessie DeThomasis6/3/2010 12:32:46 PM
- - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Erika Bolden6/5/2010 10:21:41 AM
- - - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Richelle Pipski6/8/2010 6:30:54 AM
- - - - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Bridget Altenburg6/8/2010 4:05:07 PM
- - - - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Colleen Doody6/8/2010 12:10:38 PM
- - - - - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Matt O'Donnell6/28/2010 7:35:15 AM
- - - - - - - - - RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8 Jennifer Klyse6/28/2010 9:10:50 PM

Reply    ::    Back to Top    ::   
Date: 6/2/2010 12:56:31 PM
Author: Danielle Spellman (view profile)
Subject: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to stroke and stride, but looking forward to training. Just wanted to get a feel for people who will be out there and if there are newbies like me planning on going.

Also - I don't have a wetsuit so I am not sure if that is a a problem or not? I plan on getting one, I just don't have the money right now. Does everyone wear wetsuits to this?

Looking forward to meeting more members!

Best,

Danielle

Responses:

Date: 6/7/2010 6:30:59 PM
    Author: Chad Sommer (view profile) ( In Reply to [Danielle Spellman] )
    Subject: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

My GF is 5' and just bought her first wetsuit - a new Xterra Volt for $99. She wore it at Ohio St. this weekend and loved it. Can't beat the price. Visit: http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/catalog/categories/womens/wetsuits/volt/volt/

- Chad

Date: 6/3/2010 8:34:32 AM
      Author: Danielle Spellman (view profile) ( In Reply to [Hayes Sanborn] )
      Subject: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

Thanks! I'm only 5ft tall so if you're worried that the extra suit might be too tall, you're probably right! I'm a little on the short side. :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! This is super helpful. I had no clue Fleet Feet rented wetsuits, so I'll have to check that out. I will definitely come out to at least run if I can't swim right away. Sounds like fun!

Date: 6/2/2010 2:11:02 PM
    Author: Henry Heisler (view profile) ( In Reply to [Danielle Spellman] )

I was in the lake yesterday (not to swim, but hopped in after a track workout).  It was chilly with just shorts on, but definitely felt like if I had goggles and a cap I could have swam without a wetsuit.

No false advertising...it WILL be cold :) But I'd be surprised if the lake was colder than 65 degrees yesterday and once you get going you'll be okay.  You might just want to make it a 1/2 mile swim and not a full mile.

I wouldn't let that stop you from coming to S&S as Joe said, even just to run and meet other CTCers.

Date: 6/2/2010 1:27:44 PM
    Author: Annette Jonker (view profile) ( In Reply to [Danielle Spellman] )

Hi Danielle,

Stroke and stride is fun, most people do wear wetsuits especially at the beginning of the season(sometimes you don't need it, sometimes you do).  It's really difficult to tell what the water is going to be, I've seen (felt) the water temperature drop 30 degrees over night (due to high winds and the currents in the lake).

There are a bunch of people that swim in the lake most of the year without wetsuits - however I wouldn't suggest it , brrrrr.

There are a couple of websites that have the lake water temp - I don't know which is most accurate. (Anyone got suggestions?)

Have fun stroking and striding and even if you don't get to stroke (cold water, no wetsuit), it's worth going for a social stride evey once in a while.

Another thing you could do is rent a wetsuit from fleet feet - I think it's $50 but can be used towards the purchase of a wetsuit.

Have fun out there

Annette

Date: 6/2/2010 1:42:48 PM
      Author: Joe Fanning (view profile) ( In Reply to [Annette Jonker] )

As Annette mentioned, you can rent wetsuits. Fleet Feet does rent them for races, and it probably costs around $50 as she said. However, FF has also been at Ohio St beach renting wetsuits for people to try and return right then and there. I think it's usually around $5, and if I recall they were there on Tuesdays last year.

The water is probably still too cold for most people to swim without a wetsuit. I'd suggest calling Fleet Feet and asking them if they will be at Ohio St renting wetsuits and what days they will be there.

Even if you don't get a wetsuit and can't swim, still come out! You can meet other CTCers, get a run in, or just volunteer and help by keeping an eye on gear and keeping time for participants.

Date: 6/2/2010 1:42:26 PM
      Author: Jessica Kotleski (view profile) ( In Reply to [Annette Jonker] )

Hi Danielle,

I'm a newbie and I plan on being there for the first Stroke and Stride next Tuesday.  I have a wetsuit and I would definitely recommend swimming with one in Lake Michigan.  It will be my first open water swim!  Looking forward to it.

See you there!

Jess

Date: 6/3/2010 12:32:46 PM
          Author: Jessie DeThomasis (view profile) ( In Reply to [Jennifer Klyse] )
          Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

Danielle and other newbies :)

I plan on coming to the S&S on Tuesday as well. I am renting a wetsuit from Element (Clybourn & Damen in the Costco parking lot) for $50, which could go towards your purchase if you decide to buy one. It will be my first open water swim as well!!

See you guys there,

Jessie

Date: 6/5/2010 10:21:41 AM
            Author: Erika Bolden (view profile) ( In Reply to [Jessie DeThomasis] )
            Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

I just called Fleet Feet Pipers Alley and they confirmed that they will be renting wetsuits out at Ohio Street Beach on Tuesdays through the summer.  Cost is $5.

No excuses I guess!  See you there (my first open lake swim too).
            -Erika

Date: 6/8/2010 6:30:54 AM
              Author: Richelle Pipski (view profile) ( In Reply to [Erika Bolden] )
              Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

I was planning on going today as well. I also wondered about the weather-do we swim in the rain unless it is lightning out? Also, is there parking somewhere? I have not been to Ohio Street Beach yet and am not familiar. Thanks!

Date: 6/28/2010 7:35:15 AM
                  Author: Matt O'Donnell (view profile) ( In Reply to [Colleen Doody] )
                  Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

I'm interested in going tomorrow night, will be the first of many things for me. first time swimming in Lake Michigan, first time in a wetsuit, first time training outside of a pool. I made the mistake of focusing on running and biking the last few months of training, so my swim technique is very poor. is this meeting okay for total newbs like me? I'm signing up for lessons at the Blue Dolphin, so I hope to get a technique down in time for the Chi Tri (coming fast!). I'm hoping between open water swims and private lessons in the pool, I'll be ready in 8 weeks for the race. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Date: 6/28/2010 9:10:50 PM
                    Author: Jennifer Klyse (view profile) ( In Reply to [Matt O'Donnell] )
                    Subject: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Newbie to Stroke and Strides starting June 8

Matt--I cannot speak specifically to the stroke & stride, as I'll be a first-time newbie at that tomorrow as well (traffic permitting), but...every CTC event I've been to has been ultra-newbie-friendly, so I'm sure you will be fine.  (And, I did a few training session clinics with CBDs this year and really liked them, so I'm sure that will be good too.)